

As my bundle of joy nears 2months old I decide that it is time to get back on the bike. Its been almost a full year without cycling as I gave up the dangers of the road with the news of my pregnancy last April. Don't get me wrong I am no Lance but I am no pansy either... I pride myself in saying I completed blood,sweat,and gears...google it. I actually enjoy being on the bike, the wind in my hair, the feeling of accomplishment after a good 30miler, not to mention the great benefits for my post baby thighs. I woke this morning with a plan to clip in and head off into RTP, where all the cyclist go for a nice Serene Sunday ride. The research triangle is mile upon mile of biking pleasure, little traffic, bike lanes, some hills, for the most part a rather nice experience. There was only one problem,, I have to get across the rip roaring 4 lane we all know as hwy55. I am off -I travel a few miles to meet the redlight where I fumble around with my shoes all the while with the fear of not being able to clip out and falling on my face where then a car runs me over,,I will never get over that thought. That didn't happen,, instead I panic and decide it best to do a U-turn and travel up Martin Luther,, great idea Natalie. I think that every person in D town is on a Sunday drive on Martin Luther today. Never mind the traffic I am being blown off the road by gusts of wind,,pedaling up hill my legs are on fire, and my lungs which I thought were prepared for this event by a couple of weeks of running were I now believe back on bluestone road. As I near the top I am relieved to see the American tobacco trail. Ahhhh the safety of the tobacco trail,, this is a place where couples ride around at a snails pace dressed head to toe in pearl izumi. it just doesn't seem right. I decided then and there I am going to need to ease back into this riding stuff. I am no cyclist I am simply a girl on a bike. I muster up enough strength and courage to head back out into traffic, miles later as I am nearing home and I look down and I see this....chain grease,, are you kidding me? As I enter the house Luis looks at my leg and laughs "rookie" he says. Rather than firing back with sarcasim I simply say, your right baby,,you are so right. My bike at least made it out of the closet today though and for me thats the first step.

No comments:
Post a Comment