Thursday, July 1, 2010
I feel pretty, oh so pretty....
What does it take for me to feel pretty these days? A 5 minute shower and a chance to slap on some Secret. I believe I am starting to fall under that category of,, whoa she has really let herself go. I have only recently become acutely aware of my shortcomings in the beauty department. I can honestly say that with the exception of Judes 6month doc visit and a wedding (which I will come back to) I haven't had make-up on in two weeks. If you know me at all you know that pre children I would never dream of exiting my home without my clinique tenderheart lipstick on,, I know lady's its a old washed up color but I am a creature of habit, I have worn it since 1997. So along with the lack of time due to kido adventures I have kicked it up a notch in the triathlon department which means every spare moment I get I throw my ratty somewhat curly somewhat straight hair into a bun and hit the pool to soak it in the chlorine rich water. If anyone is curious an hour of straight swimming 5 days a week gives you a lean body but will eventually eat your skin off and cause your hair to fall out. I log my running mileage and have pounded out around 300 miles in the past 5 months. Yup I have discovered my vent, my mommy time out. I love every moment of my one to two hours of me time every single day. (thank you Luis, you are the best.) So with that all being said I am left with very little time for the primping and pampering most women have come to require. If any of you reading this saw my lack of pedicure at this very moment you may defriend me... its just uncalled for really. Even the blog has suffered... thanks to Molly for pressuring me to write again by being so sweet and saying she actually missed it!! Back to the issue at hand,, the lack of beauty time plus the passage of time in general has apparently aged me as well... inevitable you say,, yes it is but geez I am only 31. Now back to the wedding story I promised... while attending a wedding this past weekend I delved into conversation with a young lady in her very early 20's full of energy and life, obviously spent several hours on her hair, apparel and makeup ensemble. After a few moments of question and answer came the pivotal moment in our conversation and in my 30 year old life. "Do you enjoy nursing school?" I ask. "yes mam" was the response. Well, there it was out there on the table for all to witness... I was the elder. At first I was upset, seriously do I look that old, I know I have ten years on you but really?? MAM? It took me about 30 seconds to muster enough energy to say, well nice to meet you,, DEAR. Turns out that even with makeup and running a brush through my hair I cant take away the 30 something look I have acquired. What do I do next I thought, schedule an appointment for botox then watch celebrity news on E! until I am hip again? Nah, I think I am beyond ever recapturing my youth, besides theres always a 40 year old thats got ten years on me! So today as wrap this up and my hubby watches after my bundles of joy I will put this mane of mine up in a ponytail and go out for my zen time on the road to clear my mind or just think of the beauty within me and in the strong healthy body that cares for myself and my children.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Nat,
ReplyDeleteI love your blog, it is so beautifully honest and positive...please, please, please keep writing. I just soak up your words....so I have gifted you with a little award:). Check it out on my blog at www.littlestorieseverywhere.com and have fun with it!!!
Keep writing!!!
Molly
LOL at the "Yes, ma'am!" I think I would be traumatized, too! It's one thing if someone's 5-year-old said it to me (but, seriously, who teaches their 5-year-old to say "Ma'am" anymore? I mean, come on, do we really expect kids to be polite? I think that's a bit much to ask, don't you?) - but it would be rough to hear it from a 20-year-old.
ReplyDeleteAnd I'm rocking the 31 years right there with you - but at least I'll always be younger than my husband, who turned 35 on Wednesday. It's the little things that count! :)
Don't worry about the makeup and hair. I always figure there are better ways to spend my time (like sleeping until the last minute to just barely get to work sometime between 8 and 9...at least most days)!
I enjoyed your writing, and I'll keep an eye out for further posts! It's nice to "meet" you! :)