Friday, July 9, 2010
boys will be boys
"One day when you have children I hope they act just like you." Wow if only I had known,, I would have thought a few things through. Flash back to age 6, First Baptist Newland where my father has undoubtedly just wrapped up a sermon addressing- children obey your parents., The sweet southern women in their pale pink suits and cream colored pumps make their way to the fellowship hall where they chatter about which chicken casserole they made. Meanwhile the children run full steam ahead to ensure their spot in line at the dessert table, I mean what if all 5 million brownies are gone by the time they get downstairs?!! Where is PK? she and her dear friend and partner in crime, yep that's you Carolina, are gently tilting a dixie cup of red colored kool-aid to ensure each little drop goes through the vent landing on the poor unsuspecting church members. I cannot recall the repercussions for this particular event but I assure you it did not go unpunished. I am suddenly flooded with memories of bad behaviors and wonder how my mother and father had time to do anything outside of discipline me. Present day I have my own little ball of fire to deal with, I am,, as we speak hearing the crash of toys being tossed around as if they are bags of garbage into an empty dumpster., with a periodic "I have the power!" shouted out. Along with just being a boy, Elijah is without a doubt one of the most strong willed children on this earth, he backs each and every argument with his intelligence and charm and that my friends makes for one tough little man. If you know Elijah you know that he has the vocabulary of most high school students, minus the "likes" and "I know-rights". Which sometimes leads me to second guess myself, "well maybe he does have a point, maybe that's not really worthy of a 5minute time-out".... SNAP OUT OF IT Natalie,, your 4 year old just totally suckered you. My father recently ask my mom in secret (sorry dad, mom told me.) if it would hurt my feelings if he purchased me a copy of "Dare to Discipline" by Dr. James Dobson. After moms go ahead I was presented with a shiny new hard back, "The New Dare to Discipline." Here's to hoping I thought so I accepted the gift and placed it on my bedside table, where it remains,, I dare Dr. Dobson to come keep my children while I am given enough time to read the 300+ page manual to parenting. With all due respect Dr. Dobson I recommend you publish a cliffs notes version for all us moms with unruley little boys... speaking of ,mine just ran through the living room with a spidey man mask and cleats on... don't ask. As I talk with my husband I am told that he himself wasn't exactly the picture of calm and serene and that "boys will be boys." I look around and see toys everywhere, a 40lb spider man getting into the fridge and think to myself,, "man I have 2 boys now.",, mommy is going to need more than a book on discipline, I am going to need prayer! Which leads me to my parting thought... a few weeks back my mom told Elijah that she prayed for him, that he would be a good boy and listen to his mommy to which he responded, "well it didn't work." Oh well friends, like they say, one day I hope your kids act just like you!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment