As Elijah continues to learn and grow we are talking more and more about Jesus, about God's love for us, about church. Being the intelligent little man that he is he also continues to ask me questions that I must give a simplistic yet accurate answer to. As he ask the questions, where is Jesus? Why does he want to love us mommy? Why do we have to pray? Why do you have to say amen? I realize that it is our job as parents to teach him about faith. Faith becomes apparent in children early on, relying on their mother to give them all that they need, faith that mommy will be there at the end of the day to tuck him in bed, that she will know the answers. This week was different, Elijah ask his daddy the same question he had asked me only moments sooner. "Do worms bite?" he asked me, my response is no. He turns to his father and asked the same question,, well Luis is a biology guy so who knows, maybe he knows something I dont,,, still the fact remains that Elijah doubted my answer. and so my friends he is growing up... realizing that he cannot have complete faith in his mother as she will surely fail him at some point. It is my prayer that as parents we will teach Elijah the meaning of faith in Jesus that he may whole heartily put his trust in Him.
As for church that is a much different, more comical story. Elijah like most 3years olds does not want to go to the nursery, he actually has quite the meltdown at the mention of it. So he attends with his parents, I am always armed with paper,pens, cars, etc. most of which he disregards after a few minutes. He holds his ears as the pipe organ plays this Sunday looking around with his brow furrowed. He is good for the most part, at least he didn't scream out "hey, he didn't say thank you" after dropping his money in the offering plate like he did a few weeks back. This Sunday he repeated over and over,, "I am Strong. Jesus is not." I realize he is 3 and views himself as indestructible at this point but still... embarrassing. As we enter into communion just as we do every Sunday we take Elijah forward with us for his blessing. When he did not get a "sip of that drink" ie communion wine, he began to say in a loud voice,, "I Want A Blessing too!"
As we are driving home he is humming a song in the backseat and I smile knowing that no matter how it may sound or look to others, Jesus loves his little children. Sweet unknowing, innocent children. beautiful. Gods love never fails.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment